Desktop Update Manager
To give you more control over releases downloaded in Xactimate, Xactware has created a desktop updates feature in XactAdmin. Administrators can control what updates are available to their users, specify which releases are required, and more.
Here’s a quick overview of what this feature does and how to use it.
- Automatic updates (recommended). If you would like all new updates to be available to your users by default, you can switch on the toggle right above the table. You can switch this toggle off to prevent any future updates from being automatically available.
- Mandatory updates. Just below the update table, you’ll see an exclamation mark followed by Xactware Mandatory Update. Mandatory updates must be installed for Xactimate to run. These updates are marked by an exclamation point (!) next to the release’s version number.
Mandatory updates are different from Available and Required updates. Available updates are optional for your users and are only visible if you select them in the update manager. Required updates are prescribed at your discretion, whereas mandatory updates are specified by Xactware.
- Available updates. As long as an update is not mandatory, you can choose whether or not to release it to your users. You can specify what updates are available by selecting a version number from the dropdown menu directly above the table. That version, along with all previous versions, will have blue checkmarks next to them in the update table. The marks will remain blue until you save your changes, at which point the checkmarks will turn gray.
After all of the applicable updates have been saved and downloaded, users will receive only one update notification in Xactimate desktop.
- Required updates. You can choose to require any available updates. Checkmarks under the Required column indicate that your users must install the corresponding update. Unlike mandatory updates, you - not Xactware - choose what updates are required. To do this, select a version from the Required dropdown menu directly above the table. Only the version you choose will be marked as required. This check mark will be blue, but will turn gray once the changes you’ve made have been saved.
- Version numbers. You’ll notice version numbers on the left-hand side of the table. These help you identify what updates have been released by Xactware.
- Release dates. These dates help you track when updates have been released.
- Saving changes. Once you’ve decided what updates should be available or required, click the SAVE button on the upper-right side of the page.Keep in mind that changes you save here are permanent, and updated versions of Xactimate cannot be downgraded.
If you decide that you’re not ready to make your changes permanent, simply hit RESET instead of SAVE to start over. The RESET button is not available after you hit SAVE.
- Release notes. You can find information on new versions by clicking “View all release notes” directly beneath the update table. This will take you to our eService Center.